This book is absolutely adorable! The author, Diane deGroat, has provided a free Curriculum Guide and Activity Kit that aligns with Common Core State Standards. It is a great resource with fantastic discussion questions, multidisciplinary activities, and printable sheets. The book and guide are for kindergarten through third grade, but older students may enjoy this video too.
The guide gives some discussion questions to ask before and after reading the story. Here are a few of my favorites and some of my own. Check out the resource linked above for a complete list of questions and more activities including a graphic organizer.
Before Reading Questions
- What is your favorite part about Valentine’s Day?
- Which do you like better, getting Valentine’s Day cards, or making them?
- What does the word regret mean?
- Have you ever done something you wish you hadn’t? How did it make you feel?
- Look at the cover of the book (pause the video). What genre do you think this story will be: fiction or non-fiction? How can you tell?
After Reading Questions
- What is the setting of this story? Where and when does it take place?
- Describe Gilbert’s character in this story. Do you have anything in common with Gilbert?
- What would you do if you received a valentine card that contained a hurtful message?
- How do you think Lewis and Margaret felt when they read the cards Gilbert wrote?
- How did Lewis and Margaret figure out the cards were from Gilbert?
- Has anything like this ever happened to you?
- What do you think Gilbert will do next year on Valentine’s Day?
bedtime stories, kids books, books read aloud, books for kids, kids books read aloud, children’s books, children’s books read aloud, read aloud, bedtime story read aloud, books online, kid’s books online, Roses Are Pink Your Feet Really Stink, Roses Are Pink Your Feet Really Stink book read aloud, Valentine’s Day Children’s Book, Valentine’s Day Books for Kids, Valentine’s Day Books, Valentine’s Book, valentine’s day for kids, kindergarten books, valentine’s day kindergarten